Thursday, March 1, 2007

Why the Native Son Writes

In my previous post, I coarsely defined the challenge of empowering underserved communities through the use of wireless technology. The next step (not that you couldn't it figure it out) is to examine the prescription. But before I get there, I bet you are wondering why I am so passionate about the "cause." Firstly, I love me some Africa. I am a native son and regardless of how far off I wander, the umbilical cord is never quite severed. My experiences help me to easily relate to anyone with a shared background and to build with everyone who wants to be part of the solution. Secondly, I believe that human beings, regardless of creed color and geography, have more in common than they are ready to admit(we use religion and color to justify our failure to obey the greatest commandment of all; Love thy neighbor). Thirdly, wireless technology is the most feasible when building affordable, and reliable telecommunication infrastructure in underserved communities. (Wireless is cool too! Don't you just hate those cables)

In a series of posts titled "The Promise of" I will provide an overview of the "prescription", from Wi-Fi to Software Defined Radios (SDRs) to WiMAX and how they can be used to provide access to information. I will of course interleave the series with my 30 cents worth on the international telecommunications industry and it's regulation .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Matchless theme....